What are the benefits of a kidney transplant?
There are many reasons why some people decide to have a kidney transplant. It is important to realise that a kidney transplant is not a cure for kidney disease, but that it is another form of treatment.
If you decide to go ahead with a kidney transplant there are a range of potential benefits, although we cannot guarantee this will be the case for you.
If your kidney transplant is successful you will
- avoid the need for dialysis
- improve your quality of life
- improve your blood count and energy level
- improve your bone strength, growth, and appetite, and
- have fewer dietary restrictions.
If you have end stage kidney disease a kidney transplant is likely to prolong your life compared to staying on dialysis.